This is for Diyode's class set of laptops. They are Dell Latitude E6400s, Core2Duo, 2.6GHz, 2GB RAM, 150 GB drives. We currently have 18 of them, with the intention of keeping 15 in rotation, with the remainder set aside for spare parts.
What operating system do we want to install? Decision is Ubuntu 13.10.
- Most people know how to use Windows.
- lots of applications available.
- The Dell laptops all have SLIC 2.1 BIOS. Which means they are out of the box able to install Windows 7 and below without a license key.
- The Dell laptops all come with Vista licenses. Vista is near end of life.
- No licensing issues.
- has a lot of applications.
- application may not be mainstream ones that everybody knows how to use.
What applications do we need to run?
- Chrome or Chromium
- sublime text
- IRC client
- Arduino Docs web archive
- Codeshield setup and starting sketches
How/where are we going to store them?
- travel case
- locked storage